Sunday, February 27, 2011

Garage sale dresser (Before/After project)

TA DAA!!
      At a garage sale I spotted an old buffet that had been brush painted dark brown, and used as a dresser.  We settled on a price and I took it home, $25.00  After removing the brown paint, and early American brass hardware, a new color appeared, bright, bright  red. UGH! Not only was the shocking red on the outside, but also inside each cupboard and drawer. Gentle sanding began! I wish I had a picture of the way it looked, but unfortunately, the "before" pic was deleted in error.
      After removing the brown paint and the layer of red, I applied a coat of oil base primer, so that those little wood knots wouldn't bleed through. Next I applied 2 layers of moss green. After that dried, I rag- washed in some hunter green and white color. Once that was done, an accent of brick red was applied to the edges. Then, I scraped tiny bits of color off to reveal under tones. In the final two steps, I applied a light sealer and replaced the knobs and pulls. 
 




The original hardware
      The dresser has transformed and it's life as a buffet has been restored. I must say, the work was worth it, not to mention addicting, looking forward to reviving another piece headed for the curb.

9 comments:

  1. I love this color green! i recently used that same swirly hardware on a piece I did. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! It looks much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did such a great job! It is so fun being able to make a beautiful piece out of something that started out a little less desirable. Super cute!
    -emily
    www.nestnestingnested.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the green tones.. you did GREAT~!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job Mom! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment. Did you know that I'm a retired special education teacher? Just retired last January after working as a Director of Special Services and LDTC - I'm working as an independent contractor now and love making my own schedule. Love your project - I admire people who have the patience for projects like this. Great color! Ciao, bella!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great. Nice color! DD2 has been sending me pictures of dressers she's finding on CL for the baby's room. Timely post!
    Dropping by from Met Monday. Hope you'll come see the dollhouse repurposed as laundry room shelf.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you!! If you Follow me, I will follow back!