Thursday, July 11, 2013

Garden underplanting ......

Summer brings smiles to my face on a daily basis. Its the time my garden loves mr back. Living in US zone 5, means freezing  Autumn nights and below freezing Winter days. It affords beautiful blooms for some plants in Spring and it also means my tropicals must be brought in.

Training clematis  Nelly Moser to climb the Tulip tree. I love Clematis and use them to fill in roses, hang over the fence, climb the light post, rise up from bushes. They add a nice color and a playful surprise.


Lavender, intermix with Yarrow and Boxwood.


 One of the hardest working plants in the sun, Annabelle.










Before the spikes of lavender flowers grow on the Lambs ears and after the delicate white flurry of Sweet  woodruff blossoms, a Mandevilla pops with color.
I like to add small playful suprises. This inexpensive fountain cannot be seen from the sidewalk. It s tucked behind the hydrangeas and can only be seen by those sitting on the porch. 

Grandmas Irises have just finished blooming and rugoas continue. Robin has made her home in them.


I love a full garden, better for keeping the weeds down.


Clematis ( Multi Blue)  in bloom in between the budding Roses. Clematis are woody vines so as an underplanting, mint flourishes. Sedum is in front of the mint, each holding the other up.



Bee balm, Balloon flowers, tick seed, and an underplanting of violets, one of the first flowers to greet us in Spring.
Little garden house to store my pots and tools, and occasional bunnies wintering and nesting in the spring.I have much gardening to add here yet.

Lavender spilling onto the walkway to to greet visitors with scent.


7 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such gorgeous photos! I love that rose arbor!!
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful garden. You must have put a lot of love and work into it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you!! If you Follow me, I will follow back!