Sunday, March 4, 2012

Kitchen Redo

My husband and I pondered updating our kitchen but, spending  tens of thousands was not feasible. We began to look at options for getting the most out of our budget. We decided to look at what's good in the kitchen and what's not, and how to fit it into our budget. Of coarse a lot of the work would be done on weekends and evenings,  in our spare time. We decided to:
remove the wall paper, replace the light fixtures, and replace the vinyl counter top with Silestone Granite, from Home Depot. Silestone is a nice option. It's quartz material resistant to scratches and stains, interesting the surface is cool. This was the biggest expense.  Replace the sink and fixtures, and freshen up the face of our long counter. Being frugal, our appliances would wait until broken to replace. As luck would have it, only the old stove is still working in good condition. Wehad to replace the refridgerator and dishwasher, and microwave. The tile floor is in good shape, attractive,and functional.
After we removed the wallpaper , select paint colors, and counter top color.  New cabinets are nice, but not in our budget.
Then, we chose tiles for the backsplash and Jeff decided to try tiling it himself.
Former light fixtures and wall paper

Paper removed, time to start the counters.
messy counter!
 

Old counter and sink

New counter tops and an extension of 1 foot to add stools.

 


New sink needed to be deeper and one touch faucet to include a water spray and soap dispenser







Counters are on, light fixture leaving to add recessed lightening.


The process continues, back splash tile, lighting, covering unattractive opposite side with beadboard.

Next he added extra support to the extra overhand by adding table legs and last we put up beadboard to give it a facelift!


  
Back splash tile completed as well as the can lights installed! Ahhh


Then it didn't take me long to add personal touches to Jeff's beautiful work! last I bought fabric to make a little sew curtain and table cloth in plaid.

As I post this, I realize I have to replace the drawer pulls.



15 comments:

  1. Stunning! I love the bead board & tile. You are going to really enjoy it, I can tell. I am redoing a bedroom ... having such fun.

    I hope you will pop by to help us bring 'angel love' for a young girl who is sick.

    Thank you.
    Have a beautiful week ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sunny,

    I love what you did to your kitchen. We are getting ready to remodel ours, you have given me some things to consider in order to keep costs down.

    I am your swap partner for the Easter swap.Please email me so I can email you.

    Thanks,

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great and I like the words on the wall. Have a nice day.

    Hugs
    Elna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kitchen looks fabulous. What an amazing update you have done on it!I am sure you added great value to your home with this redo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it looks fabulous! I especially love the new counter and that you extended it out to add stools. I hope you have many pleasant hours in there cooking and baking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beatuiful! You did a great job. I love everything about it. Cool stools too. Thanks for sharing and linking up to my newbie party. I do not think your picture actually came through on the link list, however, it did bring you to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know what I was thinking it would look like, but this is right out of a high-end decor magazine! Fabulous - you did a marvelous job and it couldn't have been easy. Also, those stools are the best I've ever seen and fit your new kitchen perfectly.

    Kudos to you and spouse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, your kitchen is fabulous. I love our new counters and your backsplash is stunning. You guys did a beautiful job and so updated and gorgeous. Great job at seeing the potential. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great transformation! I especially like the new countertops, especially since my Mom and I are dying to replace the green Corian ones in our kitchen to something more modern. I also like your rooster light vignette and the saying about your home. As we all know, family is the true heart of the home, so it's nice that you honored that in your kitchen.

    Thanks for linking up to my party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doesn't it feel great to have an updated kitchen? We did ours a little while back and I just love it!
    I particularly like what you did with the the opposite side of the island bench.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm visiting from the Potpourri Party. The kitchen is beautiful! I love all of the elements you chose. The bead board and architectural elements you added to the island looks so custom...nice touch!

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful counters and backsplash. Love the idea of adding the table legs for support at the bar area.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the bead board! It really gives it a finished look :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Your kitchen looks so pretty! I'm your newest follower, btw:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love what you've done with your kitchen-your counters are a beautiful color-I'm your newest follower-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you!! If you Follow me, I will follow back!