Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Gone with a Handsomer Man and Steak!



I was hoping THAT would catch your attention. In honor of Michael Lee West's newest novel, Gone with a Handsomer Man, I am joining in the Blog fun and making a couple the heroine's recipes this week. The heroine, Teeny Templeton, is a  pastry chef, who is accused of killing her ex-finace. Her recipe for  Expresso Steak Rub sounded delicious and that was my first pick. I added Teeny's dry rub to 2 T-Bone Steaks and my husband, "Chef Jeff" grilled the steaks while I prepared green beans to accompany those spicy, sweet steaks. Teeny should bottle and market it her rub, yummm! However, she has graciously shared the recipes with us: try it!
Expresso Steak Rub
3 tablespoons espresso beans, freshly ground
1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground pepper
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ginger
2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika

Mix together all ingredients. Brush steaks with extra virgin olive oil and dredge in rub. Grill to your favorite temperature. (My fav is med apx 8 min. each side)
Yield: Coats two steaks

I am posting with Foodie Friday
In case you missed it, here is Michael Lee West's newest book, where you'll find Teeny's adventure.
On Monday, a friend was coming over so I decided to bake Teeny's recipe for Lavender Shortbread.

I used a cut out after the round was baked, but still warm, then sprinked with baking sugar and lavender jimmies

Jasmine tea complimented the flavorful lavender shortbread cookies