Saturday, January 14, 2012

American Authors , more good reads

 Celebrating American authors this season, here are a few reads I have enjoyed in the last several weeks.
An Amish Christmas , a heartwarming story about a modern family living in Charleston, South Carolina,  face financial devastation find themselves thrown back in time after their automobile and a buggy get into an accident late one night.  The author, Cynthia Keller,  pens a compassionate story of forgiveness and social acceptance among the characters. It's the kind of book that when you finish the last words and close the book, you sigh and smile. I found myself looking for another book centering around the Amish and the "English" . I found a book by novelist, Beverly Lewis; The Telling. It turned out to be the 3rd in a series, yet I found it easy to understand without having read the two that came before it. The wholesome charcters are honest and down to Earth . The storyline was easy to follow, yet had depth, and an unexpected twist. Interesting and offers a view of an Amish lifesyle.

 
 My next read was Danielle Steel's , A Good Woman. Can I say I loved this story?! The heroine, Anabelle Worthington, has lost her father and fiance in the tragedy of the Titanic, her new marriage is lie, she loses her mother, her friends,and all that she has known. From the turn of the century socialite's life to the perils of WWI Anabelle struggles to become a doctor. The are times when the circumstances seem extraordinary until you remember that it is the early 1900s, when women lived by an unbalanced code of morality and ethics. I enjoy Danielle Steel's books and have taken one to read every summer we vacation. This is exceptional and if only reading one of her books, try this one!

      The Invention of Hugo Cabret , Brian Selznick, my next adventure in reading was unusual, in that the illustrations are just as much a part of the story as the words themselves. Known as a children's book, it is an exciting adventure for anyone to read. It is heartwarming and I found myself being amazed at the spirit of the children in the story. The Caldecott Award winner depicts a young boy, living behind the "walls" of a Paris train station. He is left alone, to continue keeping the clocks working secretly, when his father dies unexpectedly and mysteriously. Loved it and recommending it to children and the young at heart!
 
   
Out of time...back soon with the rest of my reads...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you!! If you Follow me, I will follow back!